Thursday, January 19, 2012

An introduction to my blog...

     Hello readers, welcome to my new blog! My name is Laura McSporran and I am a twenty year old who is currently studying at the University of Alberta within the Human Ecology program. My major is Clothing and Textiles with a minor in Interior Design, which is where my main ambition lies. This is my second year in at the University of Alberta and I feel privileged to have the opportunity to be educated at such an esteemed University. My brother is currently partaking in his second year in Law School at the U of A and acts as a major source of inspiration for me. I always thought it would be a huge life experience to study somewhere else and am interested in pursuing this one day, perhaps in California where I have a few personal connections.

     It is clear that communication will be of vast importance in relation to my future career. In my opinion, the most important aspect of Interior Design, and doing it well, is to thoroughly get to know the client and understand what their wants and needs are, while also suggesting new ideas that they may have never even considered. It will be crucial to "brand" myself to potential clients through the use of social media, like a website depicting my style of design, a visual portfolio and ways to contact myself for a consultation. In a consultation I would ask a broad range of questions to fully allow both the client and myself to reach a greater understanding of what the goal at hand would be. Everyone has different visual tastes and one color may even appear different from one person for another, so it would be my job to ensure that the client is fully aware of and satisfied with the details that would be going into their home. I have been told that attention to detail is what sets a good interior designer from a great one, and will definitely keep that in mind as I step closer and closer to entering the "real world". Another important aspect of communication in Interior Design will be to establish connections with people such as architects, installers and product reps in order to develop reliable relationships to bring about trust and efficiency in my career as well as theirs. Connections are everything in this business!

     Aside from school, I have an extreme love for animals, particularly my own of course. I have both a dog, Max and a horse, Dusty in my life whom I can't imagine being without. I've had Max since I was nine years old and Dusty since age thirteen so it is difficult for me to even remember a time where they weren't a major focal point in my life. Like many of us, I have dreams of traveling-- especially over seas-- and would love to visit places such as Australia, Greece and New York City. Unfortunately for my heart, I am also an avid and devoted Edmonton Oilers fan. While others may be jumping ship to more convenient teams, I will forever stay true to my team despite the heartache we have been going through for the passed five years. One day, we will be successful again...one day.

I am constantly looking for inspiration when it comes to interior design and have found this blog to be both an educational and fun read:


I also just recently found someone who seems to be in the exact same spot as me in regards to our desired future career. Her name is Samantha and she is also in Ales 204 this semester. Nice to meet you, or at least your blog! :)


And to put an image to a name, here is a picture of Max and I just before Christmas last year!
Have a great day,

Laura Brittany

(From my personal photo album)






1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that the Interiors field involves a lot of networking in order to be successful. I learned in the Introduction to Residential Interiors class that it is important to have a good relationships and good communication with contractors, builders, installers, etc. to complete a project well. Technology will definitely help with that! :)

    ReplyDelete